Please read the instructions carefully and contact email@example.com for any questions
To submit a nomination for an individual to be considered for professional membership in IEEE-HKN, please click the Nomination Form tab at the top of this page.
A candidate for professional membership may be inducted into a student chapter, an alumni chapter, or the Eta chapter of the IEEE-HKN Board of Governors (BoG)
The professional membership is subject to the operations manual and governing documents of IEEE-HKN. (Candidates for membership as undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty are subject to different eligibility criteria and procedures as specified by the operations manual and governing documents of IEEE-HKN.)
- A candidate for professional membership in IEEE-HKN does not have to be an IEEE member.
- If inducted into IEEE-HKN, the professional member must pay the Professional Member Induction Fee as established annually by the IEEE-HKN Board of Governors, and should be or become an IEEE member (subject to applying and purchasing an IEEE membership).
The candidate for professional membership is not a student.
The candidate for professional membership has been a practicing engineer for 10 years in the technical fields of interest of the IEEE defined fields of interest, or a member of the Faculty of an active IEEE-HKN Chapter.
IEEE designated fields of interest are as follows:
- Computer Sciences and Information Technology
- Physical Sciences, Biological and Medical Sciences
- Technical Communications
- Management, and Law and Policy.
Education receives credit towards years of service as follows
- The candidate with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent will be credited with 3 years of professional service
- The candidate with master’s degree of equivalent will be credited with 4 years of professional service
- The candidate PhD degree or equivalent will be credited with 5 years of professional service
The candidate for professional membership has demonstrated significant leadership and service to unpaid, non-IEEE governance, volunteer activities during the individual’s professional career.
The individual will demonstrate professional dedication by the giving of professional skills freely and without desire for personal gain. The individual will demonstrate personal integrity by the giving of personal time freely and without desire for personal gain.
Service can include, but is not limited to
- Charitable activities
- Community service and involvement activities
- Humanitarian service and involvement activities
- Educational activities
- Technical activities
The specific, personal contributions of the individual are must be documented. Service could be in support of the IEEE, or one of its defined fields of interest, but that is not a requirement.
Nomination and endorsements for candidates to be inducted in an alumni chapter and the Eta chapter of the IEEE-HKN Board of Governors
One nominator in addition to two endorsements is required
The nominator must be a member (any grade including student) of the IEEE and IEEE-HKN
It is up to the nominator to seek out and upload the 2 professional endorsements to The Professional Nomination Form.
A current member of the IEEE-HKN BoG is eligible to be a nominator
Only on-line nominations will be accepted for membership in an alumni chapter and for the Eta chapter
A total of 2 endorsements are required.
For nominations in an alumni chapter or the Eta chapter, the following applies.
- One endorsement by a member of IEEE-HKN (any grade including student)
- One endorsement by an individual directly familiar with the unpaid, non-IEEE governance, volunteer contributions of the candidate (IEEE-HKN membership is required for endorsers of an alumni chapter nomination and IEEE-HKN membership is not required for endorsers of an Eta chapter nomination)
A current member of the IEEE-HKN BoG is eligible to be an endorser