Interested in forming an IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu (IEEE-HKN) chapter on your campus? The team at IEEE-HKN Headquarters is eager to assist you.
Start by reading the steps below and by completing the new chapter inquiry form.
If you have any questions or wish to discuss forming a new chapter, please contact IEEE-HKN Headquarters.
New IEEE-HKN chapters must meet the following established requirements:
- The school must offer undergraduate or graduate degree programs in any of the IEEE designated fields of interest. This includes engineering, computer sciences and information technology, physical sciences, biological and medical sciences, mathematics, technical communications, education, management, law, and policy.
- Programs in the IEEE designated fields of interest in US institutions must be accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). For institutions in other parts of the world, programs must meet the requirements of a recognized regional or professional accrediting agency.
- The department chair, dean of engineering, school chancellor, and other appropriate university administrators must support the formation of an IEEE-HKN chapter on your campus.
- A minimum of eight eligible students must be identified to establish the chapter and prepare the required submission materials. These students will become the charter members of the new chapter.
After verifying that your campus meets this criteria, complete the new chapter inquiry form. Once submitted, IEEE-HKN Headquarters will contact you to help proceed.
Next steps for prospective chapters
Submission to IEEE-HKN Headquarters and review of application
Once all of the above materials are gathered, submit the following to IEEE-HKN Headquarters:
- letter requesting establishment of the new chapter;
- statement of degree programs and accreditation status;
- letter of support from university officials;
- proposed operations manual for the new chapter;
- student inductee documentation form listing all charter members, and payment of induction fees;
- notice of election of officers form that lists the interim officers and faculty advisor.
Items 1–4 should be submitted via e-mail attachment to email@example.com. Items 5–6 will be received by IEEE-HKN Headquarters automatically upon submission. You may also mail hard copies of all materials to IEEE-HKN, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ, USA 08854.
This package of materials will be reviewed by IEEE-HKN’s Board of Governors. After this review, IEEE-HKN Headquarters will notify your contact of the results of the review.
If your application is approved, the planning for the chapter installation ceremony may proceed.
The installation of a new IEEE-HKN chapter is a significant event for the IEEE-HKN community.
Once the application is approved, the date of the chapter installation will be agreed upon with IEEE-HKN Headquarters. A representative from the IEEE-HKN Board of Governors (or a designated representative) will visit your campus to officially install the new chapter and present the chapter proclamation.
The official name of the new chapter will be assigned. Chapter names are assigned in chronological order of installation.
Chapters are encouraged to invite all department faculty members, the department chair, the dean of the college, other university officials, and even special guests from neighboring IEEE-HKN chapters to attend. Friends and families of the inductees should be invited to witness the induction.
Chapters should arrange for all facilities and invited guests for the installation event.
IEEE-HKN Headquarters will assist you in preparing the agenda for the installation ceremony. Following the official installation ceremony and the induction of the charter members, you are encouraged to host a reception or a banquet. This offers an opportunity for the new members to interact with the guests and IEEE-HKN representatives.